Martini Church
Oud Kerkhof Sneek -plan route

The Grote or Martinikerk is the most central church in Sneek. It owes its name to St. Martin, the patron saint of Sneek.

The Martinikerk was originally built in the 11th century in tuff stone. Around 1300 the church was enlarged and given three towers in a Romanesque west facade. A wooden belfry was also added. The present church dates from 1498. In that year the choir and nave were renewed in Gothic style. The sacristy on the south side is from the 16th century and is now used as a consistory room. In 1681, the Romanesque west front collapsed and with it the middle of the three towers; the other two towers were demolished. The badly damaged church was rebuilt, but the towers were not. The places where these towers were located have been made visible in the old cemetery by a raised area.

The church is located on a mound in the center of Sneek; it is a three-aisled hall church. The church is in present-day use for the worship services of the Protestant congregation in Sneek. In the years 1710-1711 an organ was built on the separation between the church and the choir by the famous organ maker Arp Schnitger on a new gallery. The organ had a principal work, rugwerk, borstwerk and a free pedal. At that time it was one of the largest and most modern organs in Friesland. Twice a week (on Tuesdays and Fridays) at noon, the city carillonneur plays the carillon.