Martini Church (evening)

Oud Kerkhof Sneek -plan route

The Grote or Martinikerk is the most central church in Sneek. It owes its name to St. Martin, the patron saint of Sneek.

The Martinikerk was originally built in the 11th century in tuff stone. Around 1300 the church was enlarged and given three towers in a Romanesque west facade. A wooden belfry was also added.

The present church dates from 1498. In that year the choir and nave were renewed in Gothic style. The sacristy on the south side is from the 16th century and is now used as a consistory room. In 1681, the Romanesque west front collapsed and with it the middle of the three towers; the other two towers were demolished. The badly damaged church was rebuilt, but the towers were not.

On four sides is a portal to enter the church:

On the east side is the oldest entrance with a gate from 1652.This is the main entrance, and is on the side of the town hall.
On the south side is a small wooden entrance for the poor and orphans.
On the north side is a large entrance, in classicist style.
Under the balcony on the west side is a toilet block.