Pieter Sjoerds Gerbrandy(Schaapmarktplein Sneek)
Schaapmarktplein Sneek -plan route

It was commissioned by the Comité Oprichting Nationaal Gedenkteken Prof. P.S. Gerbrandy. The statue was unveiled by Queen Juliana on Thursday, October 14, 1976.

The initiative to erect a national memorial to Gerbrandy came from a committee in Sneek, in response to an idea by former school principal Berend Keulen. This committee announced at a press conference in Sneek in October 1975 that it wanted to erect a monument to the memory of the man who was Prime Minister of the War Cabinet in London in the years 1940-1945 and through his energetic, determined and courageous actions led actual and passive resistance to Hitler-Germany.

The monument was not to be an interpretation, but should show Gerbrandy as he actually looked. Pieter Sjoerds Gerbrandy was born near Sneek on April 13, 1885 on a farm in Goëngamieden, in the municipality of Wymbritseradeel. His father kept red and white cattle there - the only one in the area. The family of father Sjoerd Joukes Gerbrandy, mother Jeltje Pieters van Zijl, three sons and a daughter, was Reformed and very sympathetic socially and politically. Apart from the statue on Schaapmarktplein, the name of a street in the Zwette Plan in Sneek reminds one of Professor P.S. Gerbrandy. In April 1968 his wife opened a Protestant Christian elementary school named after him on the Westhemstraat. This building has since been demolished. Gerbrandy later lived in a beautiful canal house at Westersingel 34 in Sneek where he settled as a lawyer in 1914.