Sneek station building

Docter Boumaweg 17, Sneek Sneek -plan route - website

Built in 1883, the station is of the "Third State Construction Type 2" type in neo-Renaissance architectural style, characterized by the stone horizontal bands and ornaments above the windows. Stations of the same type were also built in Tiel, Gorinchem, Appingedam, Delfzijl and Workum. The design is by the Department of Public Works. The contractor was B.H. Trooster of Zwolle, who, however, went bankrupt during 1883, so that when the Leeuwarden-Sneek railroad line was opened, the station building was not yet ready. The station was officially inaugurated on May 20, 1884, without festivities.

station building
As of May 1999, NoordNed took over the operation of the northern lines from the NS. The station restaurant was closed. The board of the Model Railway Museum then had the idea to house the museum in it. In 2004 the building was completely restored and on the outside as much as possible in its original state by NS Vastgoed. Architect Harmen Grunstra from Bolsward designed the interior with a floating intermediate floor to leave the special roof construction that emerged during the renovation visible.

The Model Railway Museum has been housed in Sneek's station building since 2004 (source Model Railway Museum).

Starting in 2022 the station square will be redesigned, expected to be finished in 2023.