Sneek is a lively water sports town, but there’s more to Sneek! Besides water sports and the lake (Sneekermeer), Sneek has much more to offer. The town is richly endowed with ancient monuments and townscapes, has several museums, a pleasant and varied shopping area and is full of pavement cafes, bars and restaurants.
Tourist information (EN)
Sneek is more
Places of interest
1. Waterpoort. (Water Gate). A fortification built in 1613.
The Watergate is the most famous building in town, build in 1613 and now part of the Dutch heritage. It is the symbol of Sneek, known worldwide and the pride of the town. It’s the last vestige of the old fortress Sneek. During the 16th century, the military function of the towngates disappeared and this monument got a characteristic function, it became the symbol of the wealth of the town.
2. Stadhuis (Town Hall). Marktstraat 15. A 15th century building with Rococo facade. A large number of coats of arms are displayed in the militia chamber. ‘Grutte Pier’s’ (a Frisian folk hero) helmet can also be seen.
3. Martini Church. Built in 1498, with a 16th century sacristy, old foundations are indicated in the paving stones of the Old Churchyard. Open: 8th of June till 11th of Sept. Tuesday till Saturday 2.00p.m.- 4.30 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday evening: 7th till 28th of July also from 7.30 p.m.-9.00 p.m..
4. The Frisian Shipping Museum and Sneek Local Antiquities Room.
Kleinzand 14. 32 Rooms. The collection contains: ship models, (seascape) paintings, shipbuilding and woodwork tools, a reconstruction of a deck-house of a “skûtsje”, several real ships, a mast maker’s yard, ship’s ornaments, sailor’s souvenirs, silver objects, historical interiors, artefacts concerning transportation over ice (ice-yacht, skates, skating prizes).
Open: Monday till Saturday from 10.00 a.m. – 5.00 p.m..
Sunday from 12.00 p.m. – 5.00 p.m. Closed on festival days. Tel. 0515-414057.
5. Epema-State. Ysbrechtum, 1 km from Sneek. A house with gate - way built in 1652 on 15th century foundations. Church and crypt can also be viewed. Open: information Epema-State
Tel.: 0515-412475, e-mail: email@example.com
6. National Model Railway Museum. At the Central Railwaystation in Sneek.
Open: Tuesday till Saturday from 10.00 a.m.- 5.00 p.m.
On Sunday from 12.00 p.m.-5.00 p.m. in July and August also from on Monday from 12.00 p.m. – 5 p.m.Tel.: 0515-430021.
7. R.C. St.Martins Church (1871). Singel 64. Neo-Gothic cruciform basilica with interior in late Medieval style.
Open from 9th of June till 1th of September 2.30 p.m. till 5.00 p.m. and Thursday evening from 7.30 p.m. till 9.00 p.m.
8. ‘The Widow Joustra’.
Kleinzand 32. Off-licence with interior dating from 1864. With an original ‘drankorgel’ still intact.
In the distillery the Weduwe Joustra Beerenburg is made, a liquor made with over 70 herbs. It is a family business since 1864 and they still make the Beerenburg on the traditional way, as the original prescription from 1864 describes.
9. Children’s farm
Harste 11a, Sneek
April till October: Thuesday till Friday 10.00 a.m. till 5.00 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday 1.00 p.m. till 5.00 p.m. Closed on Monday.
In schoolholidays also open on Monday. Tel.: 0515 - 430299.
Spending the night in Sneek
You can spend the night in Sneek in many different ways. Sneek boasts several fine hotels, hostels, group accommodation and a youth hostel. Staying at a sailing school or campsite is also a possibility.
Shopping in Sneek
Shopping in Sneek is fun! There are always lots of people milling around. For years, the town with its many facilities has been like a magnet for people from southwest Friesland and the many thousands of tourists that visit Sneek each year. No wonder that Sneek was voted best shopping town in the northern part of the Netherlands. ‘Fun shopping’ tends to be the most favourite pastime in The Netherlands and Sneek really is the ‘place to be’ for that with the many attractive shops Sneek has to offer.
Sneek and water go together ...Sneek is centrally located in the lake district of the province of Friesland. In the centre of town spacious berths have been created, all of which with water and electricity facilities. Near the berths there are adequate sanitation facilities. From Sneek you can follow many routes along several beautiful waterways. For sailing lessons or charter of a yacht, sailboat or sloop, Sneek is also the place to be. On this site you also find useful water sports addresses.
Water sports centre
Sneek is the water sports centre of southwest Friesland and famous for its Sneekweek in the first week of August, the biggest sailing event in the Netherlands which starts with a traditional boat parade. The Sneekweek is a must for the real fan of sailing, but people who just love fun and conviviality are also well served. It's a perfect week for young and old, because of its many pavement cafes, good music and great organisation....
je een eenmalige inloglink toe
nemen zo spoedig mogelijk contact met je op.